Saturday, June 23, 2018

Book Review: ARTEMIS by Andy Weir

 

ARTEMIS  by Andy Weir. (Crown Books, November 2017) Hardcover, 305 pages.  ISBN #0553448129.

 

 

from the Goodreads website summary . . . . .

 

Jazz Bashara is a criminal.

 

Well, sort of. Life on Artemis, the first and only city on the moon, is tough if you're not a rich tourist or an eccentric billionaire. So smuggling in the occasional harmless bit of contraband barely counts, right? Not when you've got debts to pay and your job as a porter barely covers the rent.

 

Everything changes when Jazz sees the chance to commit the perfect crime, with a reward too lucrative to turn down. But pulling off the impossible is just the start of her problems, as she learns that she's stepped square into a conspiracy for control of Artemis itself—and that now, her only chance at survival lies in a gambit even riskier than the first. 

 

 

my review from the Goodreads website . . . . .

 

     I usually root for the underdog. When I first heard of Andy Weir he was a self-published author who just landed a publishers deal for The Martian. That only happens to a very small number of self-published authors. I made a note to read it. 

 

     Then the hype machine took off and I was hearing about The Martian everywhere I turned, which usually moves things lower on my to-read list (maybe I'm jealous). Then I saw the movie, which was great, and decided I didn't need to read the book. After finishing Artemis, I'm thinking about reading that first novel.

     Forget the hype. Andy Weir is the real deal. Artemis is a great read, deserving of more recognition as a benchmark work of science-fiction. 

 

     Weir has an ability to make the science not only plausible but also easier for the layman to understand and follow. He knows how to research a subject. His colony on the moon seems very realistic. He flavors this with some unique and fascinating characters, especially the sarcastic and engaging female smuggler (Jazz), whom the story revolves around. Add an action thriller with political undertones and the result is a very absorbing read.


No comments:

Post a Comment