Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Gary Finds The Internet Free Good Stuff For Us, Previews More Art

EDITOR'S NOTE: Occasional columnist Gary Scott Beatty checks in again to help us find more
free viewing on the Internet to help pass the time.  Please take a minute to check out Gary's Patreon page and consider giving him a little monthly help.  . . . . . . . 
I've been having a riot coloring pages for Welcome to Dunwich. The panel above shows one of Anna's Scooby Gang coming across Taylor Davison and her kid -- inks, letters, colors. If you want to see the rest of this page, and the inks, it's posted on Patreon here.

I had a harder time than I expected getting through the rape and birth H. P. Lovecraft suggests in 1929's The Dunwich Horror. Once I moved past the creepy stuff into the action I felt better about where this story is heading.

+++

 
Fun stuff. Toy company Hasbro has released full episodes of the 1983 cartoon G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero on YouTube for free.

The comic book series by Larry Hama that started a year before is a damn good read, but the impact of the cartoon itself can not be understated as one of the first, modern era pop culture phenomenons to bring kids, parents, comics, cartoons and toys together in a marketing juggernaut.

G.I. Joe thwarted terrorist organizations years before the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center in 2001 that lead to 19 years (so far) of America's continuous war in the Middle East.

G.I. Joe also brought back the concept of soldiers being cool. We were so inundated with WWII movies and TV shows when I was a kid in the '60s, interest in soldiers without super powers took that long to come back around.

Enjoy G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero free on YouTube here.

+++

 
Random observation: Truly Scrumptious is such a James Bond woman's name. I just realized 007 author Ian Fleming wrote the book the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang movie is based on. And, yes, actress Sally Ann Howes is Truly Scrumptious.

Not much else to recommend about this overly long movie unless you need to turn your mind off for over two hours. That's what we were doing.

+++

 
I had to chuckle at Witchcraft, a 1964 b/w horror film, because the land developer plot is similar to the gentrification premise I have going in Welcome to Dunwich. Witchcraft is carefully crafted and well acted, and the sets have that complex, gothic look that always interests my eye. I'm surprised I hadn't seen this one, since '60s b/w horror is kind of my go-to.

It takes a bit to get moving, as many '60s movies do, but Witchcraft delivers chills. I enjoyed seeing how spooky scenes built tension -- very purposeful direction from Don Sharp (The Face of Fu Manchu).

Witchcraft is free with ads here on TubiTV.

+++

Many like to bitch about Facebook, but tech that keeps us remotely connected has been a remarkable tool during this self quarantine. People have been wonderfully supportive in more posts than usual this last week. Maybe this is what Mark Zuckerberg originally envisioned for the social networking app: people making connections and playing nice.

Stay safe and be happy.

In glorious service to our Aazurn overlords,
Gary Scott Beatty
For in depth stuff, join me on Patreon

No comments:

Post a Comment