Friday, January 1, 2021

Book Review: A SONG FOR THE END by Kit Power

A SONG FOR THE END by Kit Power (Horrific Tales Publishing, October 30th 2020) Kindle edition, 125 pages. ASIN # B08J7XD9M  


Summary on the Goodreads website . . . . .



Becoming an overnight sensation was supposed to be a good thing. Not for Bill Cutter, supply teacher and weekend rock star. His band, The Fallen, have just released their latest tune on social media, and it’s blowing up.


So is the body count.


Now Bill faces a frantic race against time to stop the spread of the song, before the horrific effects can no longer be contained.


Terrifying, bitterly funny, and tragic, A Song for the End is a breakneck, blood-soaked tale of truth, lies, consequences… and Rock 'n' Roll.  


My Four-Star Review on the Goodreads website  . . . .


     The premise here is very clever and inventive: a song, that once heard compels the listener to tell the absolute truth when asked a question - or die horribly. Oh please, could you just pipe this song into the halls of Parliament (UK) and Congress (US)? I would greatly appreciate that. Maybe also make it the theme music for those dating service / meet-up sites as well. There are multitudes I would love to share such a song with!


     There are so many possible directions the author could have taken this, I was surprised that Kit Power chose to turn it into a action-packed, fast-paced cat and mouse chase. Having read GODBOMB, I wasn't expecting Power to go for a more light-hearted treatment here. However, I'm delighted that he chose to keep it short, focus on the interesting characters, and inject enough dark comedy for readers not to be too disturbed by what is happening. 


     If I hadn't had so many other year-end tasks to complete, I would have probably read this in one sitting, which is what I recommend. I believe I would have enjoyed it even more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment