Saturday, May 8, 2021

PGHHEAD'S 2021 COMICS ODYSSEY, Part Thirteen

  In 2021 I’d like to cross over the 1,000 comics review barrier, meaning reviews that I (Mike Clarke a.k.a. pghhead) contribute to the blog. That’s what this odyssey is about, beginning January 01, 2021. Wish me luck . . . . .

 

#301  X-MEN RED #1 (Marvel, April 2018) While I no longer follow any X-Men or Avengers titles on a regular monthly basis, I will pick one up from a $1 bargain if it looks interesting. I recently found this one, and must admit I was impressed with Tom Taylor’s story, but not so much with Mahmud Asrar’s art (Adequate, but seems to struggle with faces. Some characters would be unrecognizable without their costumes). What I liked about the story is that this particular group has a higher purpose beyond just protecting “a world that hates and fears them.”


   Jean Grey has returned and assembled a new team, who rescue some very young mutants from persecution. The media has dubbed the infant with a very dangerous cry/bawl the “baby bomb” and debate what should be done on national news shows, prompting the United Nations to get involved. Jean reflects on the issue: “I’ve been gone too long to watch the world through a screen. I need a different perspective. I’ve never felt the world so angry, so divided. I can hear you. I can feel your pain. Your fear. Your anxiety. I want to help. I don’t know how. But I’ll learn."


   Jean does well in her initial efforts, garnering the support of some powerful allies and getting an appointment to speak before the United Nations on behalf of mutantkind. She gives an impassioned, persuasive speech and opens some eyes. However, her efforts are immediately sabotaged by a long-time rival of Professor Xavier who frames Jean in the worst way. 


    Now that’s a great beginning that I want to see where it goes. I’ll check the bargain bins for more, but have a feeling I’ll need to break down and order the trade paperback. In the grand scheme of things it really doesn’t matter, as X-MEN RED only lasted 11 issues before giving way to Hickman’s X-Universe. So whatever happened here is probably insignificant now after the re-boot. But a good story is still a good story, as long as the following issues stayed true to the promise of Issue #1. FOUR STARS. 



#302  DEPARTMENT OF TRUTH #2 (Image, October 2020) “Devils, Real And Imagined.” 


Unread. After Issue #1, I’ve been stockpiling this series for an extended reading. Had to break my rule after selling this issue. Your teacher let me in, the star-faced man with the cape. Pancakes and conspiracy theories. Dick Cheney, Reptilian. Sub-sub basements. I can see you and I’m smiling. I want to wake up. 


Along with the crazy good compelling Tynion storyline is the appropriate art and intriguing style of Simmonds, like a cross between Ben Templesmith and Dave McKean. FIVE STARS.




#303-304  STAR WARS: THE HIGH REPUBLIC ADVENTURES #1-2 (IDW, February-March 2021) 


Even though the “Adventure” series of Star Wars books from IDW seem to be aimed at a young adult readership, IDW’s High Republic for me has been much more interesting than the High Republic series over at Marvel. Both storyline and art are better, in my opinion. On the timeline/canon, these stories occur before the events of The Phantom Menace film and The Fall Of The Jedi.


 Yoda leads a group of young padawans on their first mission to help evacuate citizens of a planet threatened by a disaster from hyperspace. Despite initial opposition from Force-sensitive Mikkians the mission is a success, as survivors are transported to the Starlight Beacon, a lighthouse/outpost on the fringes of the Universe to await the next conflict. FOUR STARS.



#305 (STAR WARS) DOCTOR APHRA #2 (Marvel, February 2017) 


Dr. Aphra is one of the most interesting original characters to come out of Marvel’s Star Wars books. A young manipulative female (she tricked Darth Vader!), Aphra is a cross between Han Solo and Indiana Jones. 


Out to acquire another relic of dubious value, the conflict/interplay between Aphra and her traitorous father is quite engaging.  THREE AND ONE-HALF STARS.






#306 BATMAN/SUPERMAN #2 (DC, November 2019) 


The Batman Who Laughs has corrupted/influenced Billy Batson, who transforms into The Shazam That Giggles (like a young boy should). 


Recognizing that’s their a youngster underneath, both Batman and Superman pull their punches and hold back - - and that doesn’t work out so well. THREE STARS.







#307-#314 CHECK PLEASE! BOOK 1: HOCKEY (First Second, 2018)  


You can't help but root for "Bitty" in this heart-warming, feel-good collection of the first volume of webcomics featuring a good-natured coming of age story about comradeship, hockey, pie-baking and secret love. 


 A full review appears on this blog for April 26. FOUR STARS.






#315-#319  RORSCHACH #1-5  (DC/Black Label, December 2020-April 2021) For me, this has even more of a WATCHMEN feel to it than DOOMSDAY CLOCK did, although both return to that universe in satisfactory fashion.


Reading this, I experienced that same sense of wonder and awe that I felt when reading the WATCHMEN series when it was originally published in the 1980’s. 


     RORSCHACH takes place in an alternate 2016 where U.S. President Robert Redford is about to be re-elected to a fifth consecutive term thanks to the electoral votes from the state of Vietnam. Security forces foil an unsuccessful assassination attempt on opponent Governor Turley by Rorschach and newcomer The Kid (a masked female sharpshooter wearing Western garb).


    The story revolves around the following hunt by an unnamed federal agent that investigates both current and past incidents in the Watchmen universe. It’s basically a mystery story, with a bit of police procedural and 1960’s style Golden Age super heroics. Turley is hoping that the straight arrow truthful investigator will find a link to Redford, who he wants to accuse of ordering the hit. 


   I’m not going to reveal any more in order not to spoil this for others who want to read it. I’m wrapped up in this story and loving every bit of it. I’ll probably wait until I have another 4-5 issues to return to reading this. I rate this first five issues FIVE STARS.



#320-321  EDEN (AfterShock, May 5 release) 


My absolute favorite of the new comics releases for May 5. I'm going to spotlight this incredibly well-done novella ("one-shock") on my blog, but wanted to get the word out right away to everybody else who loves a complete-in-one issue tale. 


A horror romance with a chilling Twilight-Zone vibe. Beautiful for its simplicity but careful crafting in both story and art. FIVE STARS.

No comments:

Post a Comment