MY WEEKS IN COMICS - - - for the two weeks ending AUGUST 30, 2026
#301 = WARBIRD #0 by Derek Kolstad & Robert Venditti with art by Jesse Lonergan. Cover by Frank Quitely (Bad Idea, May 2026) “The Bike Job”.
This is a one-shot story that gives a preview into the upcoming limited series; and it definitely whets the appetite for more. The art style of Lonergan is very eye-appealing and reminds me of the classic Metal Hurlant/European house style of comics art.
Cole Norton, with assistance from brother Doug, will steal anything that moves (car, boat, plane, etc) as long as his clients pay the right price. The upcoming storyline will center around his being hired to steal a fighter jet from the Russians.
In the Issue #0 story, Cole infiltrates the cruise ship of an a-hole billionaire influencer to repossess the high tech motor bike that he had custom built and reneged on the payments.
Good visuals, and fast-paced. THREE AND ONE-HALF STARS.
The 0-numbered issues from Bad Idea remind me of what Ignition Press does with their Cold Open issues for new series. Both give you a preview of a series so you can decide whether you want to invest in it The biggest difference between the two is that Bad Idea issues these on cheaper newsprint for only $1.99 - so it cost even less for the tryout.
#302 = QUEEN IN BLACK: THOR #1 by Al Ewing and Sergio Davila (Marvel Comics, October 2026) I’m not following the big summer Queen In Black cross-over event but there are some interesting side stories that can be picked up and understood without reading the whole mountain of related issues. You just need to scan the book and make sure it’s not a continuation from another title or something that requires you to read more to finish the story. I believe this is a one-shot. It certainly reads that way.
I picked it up because the irregular issues of MORTAL THOR by Ewing that I’ve read have been really good - - a different spin on the Thor, and more importantly the hammer, mythos. The classic iconic Thor that we know is not present here.
This is the set-up, as outlined on the first page:
“This is a tale of two mortals . . . Neither like the other, but both brothers in a strange and mysterious way . . . Neither truly born on Earth, but both willing to fight and die for all those who were. . . . Both had played the role of Thor . . . but neither was Thor in truth . . . And neither could have been — for Thor was dead, in a far-off place beyond the reach of mortals . . . and now the Goddess of Death held dominion over the Earth.”
In alternating pages, and linked by clever segues with word clues, Ewing details two separate scenes following the incursion of the Queen In Black upon Earth as experienced by Beta Ray Bill and Sigurd Jarlson (from MORTAL THOR).
Beta Ray Bill intends to take the fight directly to Hela, and is confronted by her general - Tyr Odinson, the God of War. Sigurd Jarlson reacts to the carnage on the streets, as buildings collapse or catch fire, and just wants to do what he can to help rescue survivors.
Both heroes respond in ways that Thor would, but in completely different ways. Ewing mixes in a little philosophical debate and provides food for thought in this short, compact story.
My favorite scene is where Hela questions Jarlson, who seems overly concerned (in her opinion) with a young child’s fate. She questions him: “You’re crying. . . Is death so hard for you to bear, Sigurd? . . . Is it such a monstrous enemy to you? . . . Answer the question! . . Answer me! . . . Is Death so hard?
Sigurd’s response is my favorite line: “. . . Life . . . It is life that is hard.”
Some exceptionally good art and colors. FOUR STARS.
#303 = MIDNIGHT UNIVERSE BLACK & WHITE ASHCAN EDITION (Marvel Comics, October 2026)
I’m guessing Marvel is hoping some of that DC Absolute Universe magic will happen for them. I actually hope it does - - while I’m not all gung-ho for super-hero comics anymore . . . I recognize that this is the engine that keeps comic shops in business - - and I’m all for that.
MIDNIGHT will usher in the “new nightmare-driven universe” to Marvel, with three debut issues on October 7 - - - the only titles Marvel will release to shops that day. This ashcan edition contains some teaser information about the titles, and black & white art that is text and dialogue free. I’d like to say that these will be exciting books but I just can’t tell from the brief samples. I can definitely say that the art will be appealing. (Attached is art from MIDNIGHT FANTASTIC FOUR #1).
It sure appears to be a mix of super-hero and horror.
Check out MIDNIGHT SPIDER-MAN by Phillip Kennedy Johnson & ScieTronc (??? - sounds like an A.I. app), as “great power makes monsters.” Looks like Peter Parker bonds with H.R. Giger’s Alien.
In MIDNIGHT FANTASTIC FOUR by Benjamin Percy & Kev Walker - - “a scientist’s curiosity accidentally unleashes ancient terrors upon the world while also transforming him and three others in strange and horrifying ways.” Looks like the FF bond with Lovecraftian cosmic horror monsters.
In MIDNIGHT X-MEN by Jonathan Hickman and Matteo Dllla Fonte, “the X-Men’s battle is no longer one of acceptance but of survival . . . and blood.” Looks like the X-Men bond with vampires.
There you have it. Did I pre-order any of these? Guess I should have. Will I pick them up anyway? Not sure, but thinking the FOMO bug will be riding my shoulder if I happen to see these still on comic shop shelves when I get there.
Hoping for something good, but not able to rate anything just yet.
#304 - #308 = THE THING ON THE DOORSTEP #1 - #5 of 5 by Simon Birks and Willi Roberts (Image Comics/Top Cow, February-June 2026) The synopsis:
"It is true that I have sent six bullets through the head of my best friend, and yet I hope to show by this statement that I am not his murderer." The year is 1933, and Edward Derby's best friend, Daniel Upton, visits him in Arkham Sanitorium and shoots him dead to the horror of the guards.
It's an open and shut case - or is it? What happened to this lifelong friendship for it to end this way? Who exactly was Edward Derby at the end of his life? And, most importantly, will his murder be enough to stop him?
While I have never read the original story by H.P. Lovecraft, this is a well-done adaptation. Moody and atmospheric, it serves as a slow burn and descent into madness with an appropriate mix of mind control, body swapping and possession triggering an ever-widening spiral into apparent insanity. The story is set against the backdrop of a life-long friendship between two men - - who bonded at a young age over their interest in the weirder images at an art gallery.
Later in life, Edward Derby makes the mistake of falling in love with a strange woman as he later learns that she, along with her mage-like father, have a dangerous interest in occult and mystical matters and will use Edward as a vehicle to explore those discoveries. Edward makes many efforts to escape their influence on his mind and body and often relies on long-time friend Daniel Upton to rescue him from complete madness.
I read this in the original monthly issues as published. They may be difficult to hunt down, but the trade paperback is available to order. While the story intrigued me and held my attention, I don't see how anyone unfamiliar with the Lovecraft mythos may have patience with the slowly unraveling storyline, not to mention confusion over some of the well-known (to Lovecraft fans) references to Arkham, Miskatonic University, and the Necronomicon. However, fans of Lovecraft's work should give this work some attention.
Considering the absence of any of Lovecraft's cosmic monsters in this story (although they are hinted at) and any real action/fight scenes, the artist's expressionistic style does a remarkable job of conveying apprehension, dread, fear, and outright madness.
I don't know how faithful to the original story Simon Birk's version is. Although, it's not hard to conclude that having the black Daniel Upton become a wealthy professional success and a dedicated family man is something that Birk amended. Lovecraft was a well-known racist and would never have included a black man or any person not white-skinned as a primary or secondary character. FOUR STARS.
#309 - #317 = UPGRADE SOUL graphic novel by Ezra Clayton Daniels (Lion Forge Press, September 2018) My Five-Star review was posted in a separate article on this blog on Sunday, August 30. See archives . . . . . . . . .
#318 = BATMAN #5 by Matt Fraction and Jorge Jimenez (DC Comics, March 2026) While I wasn’t super convinced after reading BATMAN #1 by Fraction I still pick up an issue here and there at random. I’ve been lucky enough to select the right ones, and have enjoyed them. Fraction has kept to his promise of trying to self-contain the stories each issue instead of a longer arc. I would recommend BATMAN #7 (new version of The Joker) and Issue #5 was a lot of fun.
Bruce Wayne is considering funding Dr, Zellar’s research and invites her to dinner. “It’s not a date”, they both say. He picks her up in his sports car, and they are soon followed by ninjas on motorcycles who are out to assassinate the doctor, What follows is an exciting car chase.
Wayne and Zellar manage to escape only to be confronted by a female ninja warrior seemingly made of birds and capable of flight. (I call her “manga-face, see cover for reference).
It takes the intervention of Damien/Robin to end the conflicts as the story ends on a little twist that could effect future stories. As I mentioned, this was fresh and fun. THREE AND ONE-HALF STARS.
No comments:
Post a Comment