![]()
It was a great week teaching creators comix fundamentals with challenging warm ups and storytelling exercises at the Art Students League NYC. One of my students wrote the screenplays for the movies AFTER HOURS and VAMPIRES KISS (plus others). It was a treat and honor to explore visual storytelling with so many interesting individuals. It’s one of the perks of bringing creatives together into a concentrated room for an intense workshop. I believe I’ll be teaching Comix Fundamentals again early January 2027 -- and then an advanced class come Spring 2027. Keep your eyes and ears peeled. Despite not winning an Ignatz Award for ANTIMATTER #1 (the nomination alone for “Outstanding Comic” truly is a win -- and brilliant cartoonist Lisa Hanawalt ruled the Ignatz Awards show with her hilarious, psycho-sexual, comix positive, anti-A.I. opening act!), I had a great time hanging with old and new comix makers and shakers at SPX 2026. An expo I started attending in the mid-1990s! I got to share a table with and befriend indie-comix legend, Peter Bagge of HATE fame. His voice and demeanor reminded me of late/great actor Ray Liotta flexing that eerie, raspy voice and naughty grin with devilish eyes. Peter told me he once did a signing at Desert Island in BK/NY and discovered the joint was filled with Brooklyn cartoonists -- enough to spark their own comic con. No kidding! We used to have CAB (Comics Arts Brooklyn) and now we got BICS (Brooklyn Independent Comics Showcase run by St. Mark's Comics) and the upcoming Bodega Comics aka BEC (Brooklyn Expo of Comics) debuting this Fall (unfortunately, BEC wasn't able to accommodate as many Brooklyn cartoonists as one might hope for. We may have to spark yet another show called BCR = Brooklyn Comix Represent). Anyway, at that previous Desert Island signing, Peter Bagge suggested that all the Brooklyn cartoonists get into a mosh pit and fight it out. See who the winner would be as the last bloody fist — broken pencil in hand — crawled out from underneath the carnage and their consensus was "Dean would win!" We had a good laugh about that.
I'm getting ready to drive to Baltimore Comic Con (Sept 25 - 27, 2026) with Jen Ferguson (her first time!) and Jeffrey Burandt (Gonad The Ballbarian). We're gonna meet up with Vito Delsante and Steve Walker (they’re debuting, Pay The Devil) to share one big booth #2308 for our annual family comix show. It's my favorite show of the year with traditions like the Thursday night dinner with Howard Chaykin and company. Friday night hang at Rafer Roberts shared studio: So,No Comic Book Factory. Saturday night dinner at The Ringo Awards, and the love we get from showrunners Marc & Shelly Nathan, and their amazing BCC crew (including Brad, Randy, David, Adam, etc.). I will have copies of my Ringo Award nominated CHEST FACE for “Best Short Story,” and my latest comic, ANTIMATTER #1. The BCC 2026 Year Book is celebrating the independent career of Erik Larsen and I drew his Savage Dragon being tackled by my very own The Red Hook! This year I’ll be doing two panels and a special signing: Godzilla vs NYC I had a fun chat at SPX 2026 with John M. Ellison IV on Sketchy Conversations: This week on the VITO x DINO podcast #88, we talk to Don Simpson about being “cancelled” + A.I., 9/11 and comix/etc. See you at BCC! Instagram / Twitter / Website/Blog / Nightwork Studio / Etsy |












No comments:
Post a Comment