Monday, July 22, 2019

Photo Essay: How Did You Spend MOON DAY 2019?

Saturday, July 20, 2019 marked the 50th anniversary of the NASA mission to land on the moon. I can still remember where I was that day in 1969 when the historic event occurred. It was my junior year at high school, and I'd arrived at the home of my girlfriend Denise (still my girlfriend, married 45 years this August) picking her up for a date (can't remember where we were going). We delayed our departure to gather around the living room with her family to watch the historic event on their color tv console. I was shocked and awed by the grainy images of an astronaut stepping down onto the moon surface. Still gives me pleasant shivers.
CAPTAIN BLUE HEN COMICS in Newark, Delaware celebrated the 50th anniversary of the moon landing with a special MOON DAY event at the store.
Participants were invited to attend in NASA gear, like the youngest astronaut that day - - Jackson Q from Middletown, DE . . . .
and the older astronaut Keith Dean . . .
There was plenty of orange Tang for thirsty customers, the official drink of the astronauts. It tasted better than I remembered back then . . . .
Guest artist/writer/creator Rich Woodall from New Hampshire was on hand to meet customers, and provide custom sketches on store-supplied posters and coasters. I'll be writing more extensively about this in a separate article.
Participants were encouraged to spend some time assisting with the construction of several large LEGO moon-related pieces. Here, store owner Joe Murray works with Jack Colatriano on a custom ship . . . . .
It was a fun event, and a great way to beat the heat and humidity inside the air-conditioned atmosphere at Captain Blue Hen. The Captain and Keith posed for several photos . . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment